Website design is the planning, creation and updating of websites. When we talk about designing we think that it’s only about the visual design. But actually, it’s not even close to being just that. Website design involves more abstract elements like the layout patterns, user habits, navigation logic and other considerations which make the search on any website easier. The main aim of a website design is the ease of finding any sort of information once a user lands on your website. If we succeed in this area, our website excels…and if not? Well, that’s another story.
HTML and CSS are the two keys for building a website. Thus, one must have a detailed knowledge of these two. Before designing a website, one must keep the following things in mind:
- Keep it simple: You need to keep the design of your website as simple as possible because if you design the website with tons of images and things happening at one time, it is going to confuse the user and the user will simply bounce off to some other websites. Thus, keep it simple to make the navigation easier for your clients and they remain happy with your services and the results that they get.
- Keep a consistent design: The design of your website should be consistent throughout. All the pages of the website should be the same in terms of color, font, design, logos, and pictures.
- The site should be easy to read and navigate: The navigation in the website should be pretty simple. The user should be able to read all the content of the website easily and one should be able to easily navigate the pages.
- Eliminate the annoying features: Have you been on a site where you navigate the website and a pop up keeps popping up? That’s one example of an annoying feature that you want to eliminate on a site. Another example is when the music suddenly starts when you open up a website even when you have not turned the music on. So design the website in a manner that these annoying features do not arise to irritate the users.
- Give users a reason to return: If the same content appears on the website over and over again, the users will not visit the website again. If fresh content keeps being posted on the website then the users remain interested in returning to the site in the future which should be a goal.
- Don’t write a thesis: The content on a website should be short and informative. Break up the content and add lots of visuals throughout your posts or pages.
- Decrease load time: If the website is taking a long time to download then it’s a patience level test for the users which most of the users will fail. So make sure that you keep your load times fast.
- Test the website yourself first: You should be testing the website along the way and well before the site ever goes live. Make all the tests from a users’ perspective and see which features need improvement. Once you test all the features of the website and you eliminate all glitches, only then make it available to end users.
By keeping all these points in mind, you will be able to design a website which works well for you as well as for site visitors. We usually come across a few websites which have been successfully designed with features that enable you to view the information and the products very easily and clearly. Let’s take the example of a popular website such as Urban Ladder which is a contemporary furniture website. It has been designed in a manner that we are able to view each and every type of furniture or item with detailed information and pictures that answers our questions, showcases the products well and encourages us to buy the product right away. By taking the time to build a quality website, it’s easy to get the following benefits:
You Might Also Enjoy: Looking for a New Laptop? Best Amazon Dell Laptop Deals
- More visitors staying on the page: Remember most people just take a glimpse of your website and leave. You definitely need to incorporate something special in it to keep the visitors interested in your website and once you did it they are all yours.
- Distinction from your competitors: There are many websites in any one industry. But if a user finds one website which has all the quality information explained in a manner that you don’t have to leave for other websites, you accomplished your mission of winning from your competitors.
- Polished Details: The details that you included in your website like fonts, text spacing and contrasting details make the appearance of your website a different one. These effects may not sound important to you but they are.
- Objective perspective: It’s really critical to clearly know what is your business and its objectives and then, keeping them in mind, you need to design a website that includes these objective and all the relevant features in it.
- Develop with the future in mind: After your initial phase of website design is over, make sure that there’s a solid foundation that will allow for improvements down the road. Because if the initial phase has been set up impressively you just need to add on in the future and your users are going to like it.
- Reliable partners: The webs designers and business owners’ work together to make a website. All you need is some compromise and some sound communication between the two. So you both need to rely on each other’s efforts to build the perfect website.
- Cutting corners: Some business owners try to work a deal with web designers to work for them in lower price. Discounts are always a good thing, but not at the cost of having the quality website that is needed these days. So walk a fine line between getting a good deal and getting an impressive, well developed website.
Welcome to the world of website design! Now whether you are getting started in the field and want to try your hand at creating a website or you’re looking for someone to help you get the site you dream of, these tips will help!